Saturday 9 November 2013

Mylot - A Lesson Learned


One of the few sites where I successfully made money before writing on Bubblews was Mylot. I actually reached payout twice. Not spectacular but I did get paid.

The important lesson I learned there was not that most writing sites provide minimal pay for a great deal of effort. What I learned is that the rules of the game can change at anytime. If you're trying to make money online these changes can make a huge impact on your online income.

Mylot let us know that big changes were coming. The site was going to be bigger and better than ever. The whole system was getting updated from top to bottom, new look and functionality. When the anticipated changes arrived the biggest difference was that we would no longer be paid for our participation. Upsetting hardly began to describe it. I wasn't getting any kind of stable income from Mylot but I had friends who were and this was a kick in the teeth. That is when quite a large group of us migrated over to Bubblews. We're still friends over there.

One of my friends on Bubblews had a similar experience on another writing site. She was making $5000 dollars in one month on that site (yeah I'm still in awe) and then changes were made that dropped her monthly income to $1000. That is not the kind of stability that any of us are looking for. Don't get me wrong, I'd take the five grand but my goal is a stable income.

What do I take from that? Bubblews is building up for me steadily. I have fun there. It gives me an excuse to practice my writing daily. I want for that site to be one part of my online income. Yes, I make money faster there right now than any other work online I've ever done. There is a temptation to devote all of my efforts there - and then what if the game changes. I don't want to be in a position where I'm counting on this one opportunity only to have the rug pulled out from under me. I'm glad Bubblews was there to catch my friends who had been counting on Mylot for part of their income.

I'm going to write there while the getting is good. It might stay that way for a long time. I'd love that but I'll keep looking for other irons to put into the fire. Niche websites is one I'm working on. I might go back to doing some forum content writing. This way if one online source dries up, I'm not left completely in the lurch.

My cliche advice is to not put all your eggs in one basket. Incidentally my Mylot account is still in good standing. I rarely visit but I may be able to market my niche sites there. I did my best to avoid cheesing off their administrators even though I was not happy with the changes.


3 comments:

  1. I wish you all the best on your journey! Will be reading your blog, hoping to learn along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the well wishes. I hope my experiences prove useful to visitors.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete